Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Gillard's fantastic feminist rant


Now, I'm not a huge fan of Gillard, but I find her highly preferable to Abbott. So, when Hunter pointed me to the below video, I must admit that I watched it with glee. It is a superb attack on Abbott and his double standards on misogyny and sexism (in relation to the Peter Slipper text message affair).


Particularly brilliant was Gillard's use of quotes from Abbott from the not-too-distant past, showing exactly how (un)qualified he is to level accusations of sexism:

If it's true ... that men have more power generally speaking than women, is that a bad thing?

Yeah, I completely agree [that daughters should have as much opportunity as sons], but what if men are by physiology or temperament more adapted to exercise authority or issue command?

But now, there's an assumption that [the under-representation of women in society] is a bad thing. 

Top Gillard quote:
The Leader of the Opposition says that people who hold sexist views and who are misogynists are not appropriate for high office. Well, I hope the Leader of the Opposition has got a piece of paper and he is writing out his resignation.

My opinion of Gillard has just gone up several points, even though I think it is right that Slipper has now resigned his position.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment